Saturday, May 12, 2018

Mother's Day Weekend

It's early Saturday morning and I need to get ready to go visit my mother-in-law for the weekend.  She's lives a couple hours away from me.  My husband is her only child.  We don't see her often, but given it's Mother's Day, we try to make a point of seeing her on this day, at the sacrifice of seeing my mother (but my mom is understanding about it).

Being around my mother-in-law is a trigger point for drinking.  I've always drank around her.  Why, to stifle the annoyance of being around her.  She's a tough cookie.  My husband and her have a love-hate relationship and I've always felt caught in the middle of their "issues".  It's too long of a story to explain the why, etc.  Let just say, I don't fully understand it, as my relationship with my mother is totally different.  Last time we visited her was on her birthday this past January, I did manage not to drink and that was in my early stages of trying to get sober.

While I feel strong about avoiding the "drink" around her, I'm still a bit itchy.  The only thing I can do, is not scratch the itch, right?

Happy Mother's Day to all you lovely mom's out there!

3 comments:

  1. Hope your weekend is going well! Courage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t scratch the itch! It only makes it worse.
    Over time it’s noticing the itch that becomes important...because it always points to something we don’t really want to deal with.
    But, of course, if we do it’s not usually so bad.
    Hug
    anne

    ReplyDelete