Sunday, August 11, 2019

Another Birthday!

I started this blog a couple months before my 55th birthday.  Now you know how old I'll be in a week's time!  As I've written, I got to a point in my late forties where I knew I was in trouble with alcohol.  I never consider myself an alcoholic, still don't, but for purposes of being honest with myself, I am.  As my 50th birthday was approaching, I said I would stop the over indulging, rein back the amount I was drinking.  Of course, this did not happened.  What happened?  We all know, it got worse.  I could write a saga of things, the whats, whys, how comes, but the bottom line, I had to stop.

It's taken me seven years to get here, which is not sober, but better off.  I don't drink anywhere near the way I did two years ago.  This year, I can count on my hand how many times I got drunk to the degree of shamefulness, which is five times too many.  I've managed to go long spurts without drinking, managed to drink responsibly, and do not drink by myself.  Good progress.  I'm proud of myself, but then again, I'm not.

I know it's best not to drink at all.  I have know this for a very long time.  I have written numerous times, I ready to do this once and for all.

I know.  But I have not done so.

I know one day I will.

What I do know, is I'm in a better place with my life. 

Better is good.


2 comments:

  1. Better is good, Lia!
    Happy Birthday, my dear friend!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you’ve done brilliantly. Cutting back is no mean feat and you’ll know when you want to take it one stage further. Genial!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete