Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Birthday Month

The beginning of a new month, my birthday month.  I'm turning 55.  For the last 20 years plus, my birthday month was a major reason for drinking.  Celebrating with alcohol was the norm, especially if I managed to take a vacation during this time frame.  Well, I'm taking that vacation, to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!  I'm nervous about it.  I've never gone to Mexico without drinking Margaritas, or taking a shot or two (who am I kidding) of tequila. My husband and daughter both say, if I do, don't over do it, just go slow.  If only....

Well, I'm writing this blog for a reason, reason being I can't drink like that, well at least not most of the time.  I'm struggling with the thoughts, can I, should I, no you shouldn't, it will be fine without, etc. For now, all I can say is I don't plan to give up.  Others have managed through their first vacation without drinking, so can I, right?

But I'm scared I'll fail.

8 comments:

  1. You don't have to fail. I made it through a 2 week vacation last year and I have been riding that feeling of accomplishment ever since. Try to do it and then re-evaluate when you get home. You can read my posts from that time starting here: https://donewithmywinehabit.blogspot.com/2016/06/travel-tested.html

    You will feel so good doing it and it still doesn't commit you to forever although you may find it easier going after making it through the vacation. A birthday gift to yourself! And if you change your mind then you'll just have to concentrate on moderation! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great read! I truly appreciate you sharing your post. How you stayed strong through all that, well let's just say, you rocked! And I appreciate you not making me feel bad should I fall. But after reading what you went through, I can do it too. My flight is only 3 hours or so and direct flight there, so I shouldn't have much issues, so she said...LOL!

      Delete
  2. It will be SO worth it!
    My first sober vacation was a little tough, to be honest, as I felt sorry for myself.
    But this is a long game.
    And so I was glad I didn't drink, as each vacation has been easier.
    I felt so much better not drinking because I loved waking up without hangovers, and loved not getting all sleepy and tired in the afternoon!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I'm telling myself, it will be worth it, however, as you wrote, it's tough because I am feeling sorry for myself. And you know what? I shouldn't. But feelings aren't always easy to control. Eight days until I leave, I'll worry about it then. Gracias Wendy!

      Delete
  3. Just been reading your entries from the beginning. So happy for you - finding strength you didnt realize you had. Hanging in there. There is so much 'mental' as well as 'physical' that has to change. It takes time. But is surely worth it.

    Hope you are giving yourself the best BD present ever....you know which one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello NW1996! Thanks for checking on my progress and pointing out the strength it's taken to get this far. I appreciate your comment tremendously!

      I'm hoping I continue to have the strength to give myself that "special gift"! All I can say for now, "we shall see."

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Happy Birthday fellow Leo! I hope it was a fantastic day and you did something fun. My is on the 17th!

      Delete