Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Reflections on One Year of Blogging

One year ago I started this blog.  In a way, it seems so long ago.  I started this blog for all the same/similar reasons most of us do, to stop drinking.  To stop the madness and despair drinking had come to be in my life.  In the past year, I've written my story of how I got here, what my behavior had been during the downhill slide to drinking too much, relationships with some of my closes family members regarding my drinking, etc., and my struggles to stay sober.  Reading back over the year, I can say I've grown.  I have not gone alcohol free in the past year, but since the start of 2018, I've done really well.  Only drank 11 days, for which I'm not proud, nor to I condone to be the right thing to have done, but it's a damn good stretch for me!  I have a ways to go, to keep pushing myself in the right direction, to never want to drink again.  I am getting there.

The second half of the year, can I do it, can I hold strong and not slip up, can I?  The answer should be YES, the answer can be YES, but will I do it?  I feel stronger.  I've stepped up using more sober tools to help me (current one is holding on to DoneWithMyWineHabit's virtual hand).  But the most important shift has been my mindset.  I've slipped, but I've gotten up and brushed myself off and realized what the secret is to win over this battle of mine.

"The secret of change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old but on building the new." - Socrates

It's been hard, it's been a challenge, it's not been easy, but here's to my continued construction of life without alcohol!

For all of you out there, hang on, keep trying, never give up; life is better sober.  Don't beat yourself up if you don't quit on your first try, love the fact you want to quit.  Focus on the new!

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Lia. But I must say that while you are holding on to my hand it's because you are pulling me along. I'm still at the "I can't fathom" only drinking 11 days this year. That is so awesome. Stay in the lead on this relay, sister, you're doing awesome! This whole quitting drinking thing/process is definitely a growing experience in many ways! I like the phrase "love the fact you want to quit". That really is a huge step forward when we get to that point. Until 2015/16 I didn't realize that that needed to be my new focus...so glad to have found this sober universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lia, well done!!
    You are learning on your way, and that is so important!
    Hugs to you!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It is amazing, I never thought I get this far, but with support and people like you, it's happening. Thanks for continuing to read my story and for the great advice you've given me. xo, ll

      Delete