Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Fraud


Today is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year.  A good day to post a confession.  No, I have not taken a drink since I started this blog.  Still holding steady, however, this past weekend I did smoke marijuana both Saturday and Sunday.

There, I admitted it. 

I haven’t smoked pot, regularly, since during my early-to-mid-twenties.  My first husband and I would smoke pot as our preferred way of a head change.  We didn’t drink much, a couple drinks when going out, but we loved pot!  Every day after work, we’d light up, make dinner and enjoy some television.  Weekends, we indulge through the day, if we had no commitments with family or events.  This went on for about five years, until one day I became paranoid after smoking a joint.  I don’t know why.  Could have been the particular batch of marijuana had something in it, I was stressing during this time (abusive marriage) and/or my brain was just over it.  Whatever it was, my relationship with pot stopped cold turkey.  No looking back, no temptation, just ended.
When I met my second husband a couple years after my first marriage ended, he did ask if I would smoke some marijuana with him.  I told him I couldn’t because of the paranoid feelings, but he got me to try it (new relationship, trying to please the other person) and sure enough, I freaked out.  After just one hit, I stayed in the same spot for about an hour until the stuff wore off.  I told him, “never again”.

So fast forward to now.  My closes family members know I’m writing this blog.  They are all supportive.  So when this past Saturday came around and I was moaning about not drinking, my daughter’s girlfriend offered me some pot.  I told her I get paranoid smoking, but she assured me the pot she had was “designed” to pep one up.  What?  The marijuana I smoked in my 20s, made me high, slowed me down, and made me hungry, but she assured me this pot was different.  Well, given my addictive nature, it wasn’t too hard for her to get me to try it.  Plus, I so wanted to stop thinking about drinking.  So I took two big hits of the stuff from a little pipe.  And I did get a head change.  I didn’t get too perky, but I didn’t get dopey either.  I sort of settled on a mellow feeling.  I sat down to watch a movie and I zoned for an hour or so.  And that was it.  On Sunday, mid-afternoon, I did the same.  One thing I can say, it helped the obsessive thoughts on drinking stop.  But what’s interesting is I didn’t want more.  In fact, I don’t have the urge to smoke again.

However, when I shared my pot smoking episode with my sister, she made a valid comment which stuck me solid in the face.  “All you did was change one mode of head change for another.”  

And she’s right.

I don’t plan to smoke marijuana again, it really doesn’t give me the same kind of feeling that drinking did.  The main point is to be clean and sober.  While I don’t feel like I am on Day 3, I do know I needed to write this down, so I don’t play games with myself.


10 comments:

  1. Wow Lia - you are really amazing to write this down and be aware of what your sister said about subbing one thing for another.

    However I have a bit of a different view. Alcohol is so bad for us once we are in the grasps of addition, I am not qualified to know which is worse for us however medical research is and it is pretty clear on the issue. Pot wins as the least taxing on our health.

    I don't smoke weed as it isn't a feeling I like, but I would be interested to hear what others think on this issue. Obviously substiution would mean you smoke heaps and are so high you can't function - like drinking. So is it really substitution?
    Is looking forward to a smoke as a treat so really fucking that bad?

    Great subject to raise Lia - if you don't mind I would like to repost this on my blog (from you of course)
    M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, repost. I'd love to hear others perspective on this subject. Thanks M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so well written as other blogs so won't get too many replies but one is better than nothing :) right?
    M xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it doesn't so much matter what we all think, but how you feel. Substituting one "negative" for another doesn't deal with the core issues as to why you drink in the first place. What are you trying zone away from when you drink or smoke? What is the underlaying issue? Some people substitute sugar or smoking or sex or exercise. But at the end of the day, it matters that you respect yourself. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your perspective, it gave me much to think about. I wrote a post to elaborate on "why" I smoked. Hope it makes sense to you.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Mrs. S's comment. Why do you need to zone out? I think getting sober is about finding clarity - living life as it is meant to be lived. Yes, I too want to get out of my own skin at times, but finding a substitute to do it in my humble opinion only leads to other issues. I have considered pot, or pills, but then I think why? What is it I am trying to escape from? My real emotions which can be extremely hard to deal with in early sobriety...but as many say, that is just life. Either way the choice is yours. Best of luck. p.s. I did try pot but it was debilitating I freaked out so that was an easy no for me - haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stratta, thanks for your comment, as I wrote to Mrs S, I wrote a blog on why I smoked and what it was I was looking for in doing so. Freaking out on pot is not fun!

      Delete
  6. Everyone needs coping mechanisms.
    Sobriety had given me a clear mind to see what I need. I don't think drugs will provide that...

    Eseky sobriety is hard. Life can feel prickly, boring and you might even realize you don't really like all your friend or how you used to spend your time.

    That's all important stuff to discover.

    Find things that support you. It's so worth the effort.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people can use drugs and alcohol to an extent which they can control. I've know/known some people who do so, and they are happy with themselves. These people may be in the minority, but they exist. However, I'm not here to debate that point. I'm here to give up alcohol. Your points are well taken, and early sobriety is VERY hard. Not impossible, as you and some many others have proven. Thank you for commenting, I so appreciate it.

      Delete