Thursday, September 19, 2019

Buddies Do Help!

I have two blog buddies I communicate with off our blog sites (and on to them too at times).
Habit and I started helping each other back in April.  Jim and I, only recently, although we did initially touch base two years ago.  Today I was sharing with Habit, and I decided a portion of what I wrote her, I would share here.  It's something I want to remember.

Who knows when, how, why, and if we will ever truly stop 100% drinking alcohol.  I know I want too, but I don't know why I haven't made it stick.  I refuse to accept I am weak, bad, stupid, or insane.  I am not perfect.   As long as I move towards being better and better, in any number of things I'm dealing with, then it's progress.  I am okay and good enough.  And I have to hold on to that knowledge.  Many can, will, do judge what I'm expressing here, and that's okay too.  I have to do me.

You do you!  

I'm on a dry streak, since Sunday, 9/8 so today makes it day 12, 11 days down.  I haven't had much urges.  I think it's because I am motivated by Jim.  No idea how long this will last, but so far, not much thinking on when I will drink next.  This isn't to say, I won't fall and that this time, I know I will never drink again!  Not sure if this is good or not good to think this way.  I've done so many times, where I've said, written, believed, "this is it."  For it not to be so.  What I know, right now, and for today, at least, is I won't drink alcohol.  As Scarlett O'Hara so famously said, "I can't think about that now.  If I do, I'll go crazy.  I'll think about that tomorrow."

Not bad advice from Scarlett.

6 comments:

  1. I really had to dig deep and understand self compassion before I was able to get sober.
    The biggest gift to yourself is to treat yourself as your very best friend.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gift worth having, but one hard to give one's self. I'm working on it! You're the best! xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy is so right about being kind to yourself and as you say you’ve made progress. Nothing is guaranteed as we start this journey. Any of us could trip up but hey if we link virtual arms, we make sure that no one hits the ground. We will keep each other on that road. Adelante!
    Jim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy is wise and I value her judgement. I'm better at leaving the guilt behind, and looking forward, just haven't been able to leave Al Cohol for good (hope you don't mind me using your name for it, loved when I read about it in your blog). I haven't given up hope that one day I will! So far, my arms are holding study, linking up with some many good people out there. You being one of them for sure! xo

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete