Sunday, June 30, 2019

Failure

I don't post as often as when I started this blog two years ago, mainly, because I haven't been able to quit drinking for good.  When I read back to some of my earlier post, the sentiments and feelings are the same, so why repeat them again.

I'm feeling sorry for myself.  I'm my own worse enemy in this battle to get sober.  For a while, I was content to know I got better with my alcohol problem, meaning, I was drinking less, not as frequent, etc.  All true; but I've flat-lined into a place of steady drinking.

I may not drink for two/three days, then drink a few beers, then after two weeks, I crack that bottle of wine and all bets are off.  If I compare myself to others, I can justify my problem isn't so bad.  Of course, this has kept me where I'm at now.  However, "the problem" drinking too much, is still "the problem."

The problem won't go away until I no longer drink, EVER!

I know I haven't exhausted all avenues of help.  I've not gone to an AA meeting since last year sometime.  I haven't told everyone I know, I have a severe alcohol problem.  I haven't tried checking into an out-patient type service.  Knowing all this, only contributes to my sense of failure to get sober.

I so wanted to be like a number of people in the blog sphere, getting sober on their own.
Then telling everyone, "I did it!".

I not going to give into this failure.  I'm getting ready to start AGAIN.  Fellow bloggers, "S is for",
Putting Down the Drink", and "Tipsy no More" have repeatedly said, "never give up, giving up". How I hold on to those words.

Lastly, my sober buddy, "Habit", is helping me, even if it doesn't seem like I'm making progress.

No one said it would be easy.  But many have said it would be the best thing ever.  I believe it.

I feel a bit better.


8 comments:

  1. When I first started blogging, I was a newbie and my first attempt at quitting. Now I am a senior member, have tried to do it my way and failed repeatedly. It's time to actually listen to all the sage advice. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your "Hugs", keep them coming, as you understand my anguish/torment/misery (which I've brought on myself) fighting this battle. xo, ll

      Delete
  2. I am right here with you. I am right where you are. This problem is so complex and difficult to solve. I have a bad problem too, but in my real life I'm the only one who sees it that way. We are Grey Area Drinkers. Life really truly is so much better without the booze. When do you think you will try again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July 7th is my start date, having a BBQ for 4th of July and know I'll keep drinking, somewhat, that weekend. The more hand-holding I can get, the better! And it's so true, those who love me the most, say I'm too hard on myself about my drinking. There was a time I didn't think twice about how much I drank and when, but the reality of how much drinking was (is) causing issues for myself is no longer something I can hide/run away from, knowing this, and continuing my behavior just makes me so sad.

      Delete
    2. I'll be one week behind you. Aiming for 100 days.

      Delete
  3. Remember to also forgive yourself. Addiction is a crazy hard thing to break!
    Don’t put shame, guilt, or comparing on yourself.
    You are loved just as you are.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your so much Wendy! Thank you for reminding me I'm loved for whom I am, regardless of my problems/issues, etc. You are a beautiful person inside and out! xx, ll

      Delete