Sunday, June 23, 2019

Simple isn't easy...

I'm doing okay, but not anywhere near where I want to be with my drinking problem.  I've managed not to get disgustingly drunk, thank goodness, but I've continued to drink here and there.  A lot of family drama is playing out in my world right now, and I'm soothing myself with drinking beer.  I've only drank wine three times since Easter.  Wine wrecks havoc, while beer just numbs.  I don't pretend that drinking beer is the right thing to do, but it doesn't cause the same issues as wine does.  I am wavering, trying to get back on track, and I will.   One area in my life where I do well is with finances, money.  I read a blog by Trent Hamm, "The Simple Dollar" faithfully.  His perspective on money management is something I can relate to.  He wrote a blog on June 18th titled, "The Simple Dollar", is not, "The Easy Dollar".  It hit me, how much it can relate to drinking, here's a portion of the article:
1. Start now, not later.
Spend less today. Not tomorrow. Today.
Make the things you need to do to make this your new life pattern your highest priority for the next few days.
Don’t shy away from giant steps, but remember that little steps are successes, too.
2. Remove temptations from your regular environment.
Delete your passwords and credit cards from websites.
Avoid places where you might be tempted to spend money.
Don’t carry cash or credit cards with you unless you intend to spend.
3. Establish fresher routines for your day-to-day life.
Purchase more energy-efficient devices when it’s time for replacement.
Find the most efficient commute.
Renegotiate your bills.
4. Don’t get hung up on individual mistakes; instead, focus on a new day.
Recognize always that one misstep does not mean the end of your progress.
Spend time figuring out why you made that misstep and don’t just merely excuse it.
Focus on today and tomorrow – only use the past and far future as inspiration until you’ve mastered your new habits.
5. Schedule treats.
Give yourself a certain amount of room and freedom for spontaneity.
Choose “time” splurges rather than “money” splurges.
Enjoy the anticipation and the afterglow.
This is so true, on point.  Why I'm still struggling with drinking is because I haven't really followed these points.  But, I'm still trying to do so; I'm still not giving up to let the drink be a thing of the past.  Really, I'm not.

3 comments:

  1. I have saved a lot of money by not going to stores.
    I also just stopped buying so much. I’m wearing what I have, even if it’s not the most in thing.
    Now I saved enough to do more traveling, or buy a really quality item if it’s needed.
    Still have enough for an occasional cute piece of clothing.
    I actually have more freedom by not buying!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wine wreaks havoc...ain't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% the truth! It's such a love/hate thing with me. How I wish I wasn't enthralled with it.

      Delete