Tuesday, July 4, 2017

4th of July - the 241st anniversary of America's independence

To all you Americans out there, Happy 4th of July!  The whole country is celebrating this day, with BBQs, park/beach visits, parades, all kinds of activities and, of course, a lot of drinking to go along with the festivities.  When I decided to give this sober ride another chance, I didn't think about today. All I thought at the time was, "please let me get through this day not drinking."

Well, I've made it a whole 30 days without an alcoholic beverage of any kind!  For which I am grateful! So today, in addition to celebrating our country's independence, I'm celebrating my independence from alcohol.  I know I have a long way to go, but I'm determine to make this stick.

And so I leave you with a quote by Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the United States:

"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your newfound independence! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!
    Freedom from drinking l is the best.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't pretend I'm there yet, because I'm still fighting the urges to drink, but I do so want the freedom to be free from all that agony. One day I will be free!

      Delete
  3. Is it 30 days already - why are you making this look so easy Lia!! I know I shouldn't say that because it may feel like super hard for you but you are doing this so well.

    You must have been well and truly ready L :)
    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle.

      I was so tired of the same old merry-go-round of drinking, I finally believed I was ready to do this. I appreciate you saying I'm doing this well, because as you also wrote, "it may feel like super hard" and it is hard. I'm tempted almost daily, but I think of you and Wendy (and any others that may be reading my blog) and I don't want to let you down. Which is a great thing, because it helps me to not let myself down. I can do this, not easy yet, but I can.

      Delete