Sunday, March 11, 2018

Suffering

"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.  The difference is the pain of discipline weighs ounces while the pain of regret weighs tons." -- Jim Rohn

When I came across this quote, it hit me like a ton of bricks.  For the moment, while I'm in my baby steps of getting sober once and for all, I am suffering.  But for a worthwhile cause, for a goal so important, it's worth the pain, agony, tears and sweat.  The reality is the suffering is something I CAN go through BECAUSE the "pain of regret" is too much to bear.

I'm tired of all the regrets associated with drinking alcohol to the extreme.  If I must suffer for awhile, to get to the other side of this path I'm on, it's worth every ounce to get there!  I don't want tons of regret in my life.

And as so many have shared, the beauty on the other side is worth it all. 




4 comments:

  1. That’s a great quote! The time right around two months is hard but you are getting through it using your tools and working the sober muscle and that is awesome. Tomorrow you will be in your own completely uncharted sober waters and that’s powerful. For me it was also a little unnerving and the Drink Now voice was really loud for a while but if you don’t pay it any heed it eventually shuts up. A hundred days really is where good emotional stuff starts happening. Keep going!

    Hugs,
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great quote. I'll keep going...thanks Sam!

      Delete
  2. Lia, the other side is definitely worth it! Your life no longer revolves around alcohol and therefore all those worries and thoughts (when can I next have a drink, do I have enough, do I smell of stale wine?) all fall away.

    As well as looking and feeling much better, you get YOU back.

    ReplyDelete