Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Day 9 - Self-Talk

I made it through the weekend!

Trying again, I realized I needed to change my frame of mind.  I needed to stop thinking about why I can't drink, and think about why I don't want to drink.  Of course I've known this all along, but this time it's sinking into my brain; it's working!!

I need to think/focus on the things I gain by not drinking.  Better sleep, clearer skin, no empty calories consumed, no hangovers, no blackouts, etc., but mainly, no shame and/or guilt. 

I want peace, more than I want to have that sweet spot of alcohol influence daze.  Understand, if I could have that dazed/buzzed/good feeling without harm to my body/brain/soul, I would continue drinking.  It doesn't work that way, as we all know.

This time around will be different.  Not easier, but with a new frame of thinking "IT IS WORTH IT"!






11 comments:

  1. Well done for getting through the weekend and you're right to focus on the many positives. No shame or guilt is huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always mess-up with replies, but thanks for the support!!

      Delete
  2. Thinking of the positives rather than the negatives is key I think. I’m trying to get that place where I’m proud to be Alcohol Free. Yes I still miss the wine but overall life has been better without booze than with it. Well done Lia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with you 100%! However, I've been here before, so am caution, because it's early days yet, but somehow this go around is different. I wonder why? LOL! xo, oo

      Delete
  3. Well done on getting over the W/end. Whilst I’ve been on holiday I’ve mentally, at the end of the day, counted up the drinks I would have had, and imagined the feelings I would be going through, if I’d had those drinks, and I’m always grateful I didn’t drink. Cognitive dissonance I now know it’s called (thank you Annie Grace) when your actions are contrary to your desires. Us boozers know it all too well I WANT A DRINK, but, I DONT WANT A DRINK! It can be real tough sometimes, but also I find does not last too long I feel you can distract or reframe it as “right now, I’m choosing not to drink”. Hope your week is going well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Annie's tips, I appreciate it. And yes, it doesn't last too long, the thoughts of drinking, but they are there. I'm holding steady. Have a great rest of the weekend SP!

      Delete
  4. You're doing so well! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo!
    You made it!
    Giving you strength for today!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, generous Wendy! You are the angel of inspiration for me. I'm taking the strength you've sent, and holding on tight! Happy Thanksgiving! xo, ll

      Delete