Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter Sunday

I was raised Catholic, but not in the strict sense.  As my mother and father divorced just before my 6th birthday, my mother fell away from the traditions of the Catholic church.  So my exposure to the faith become more perfunctory.  I do believe in Jesus Christ, he was very central to my understanding of what the religion was all about, however, as I've aged, I have opened my mind to other religions and ways of understanding our connection to the universe.  But I digress.

Today being Easter Sunday, I realized, I can start again. The meaning of Easter is Jesus Christ's victory over death.  I do not expect or feel that everyone has to believe this but I do.  And it made me feel comfort, because I can still have victory over my fight with alcohol.

I fell on Friday (Good Friday for those who follow the teachings of Christianity).  I've wallowed in self-flagrant thoughts about myself.  What's wrong with me?  Why did I do something bad for me?  It doesn't matter why, really.  What matters is don't throw everything away.  Keep strong.  Keep going.

Today, I'm starting my victory over my mind's self-talk about alcohol.  I lost a battle, I have not lost the war.  As of today, 90 full days are down for the year.  I've drank twice.  88 days sober is something to still be proud of.

To those who celebrate Easter, Happy Easter to you.  To those who don't, Happy Sunday to you.





2 comments:

  1. This is a great attitude to have. Happy Easter and happy fresh start.

    Hugs,
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, I'm back on track. Just completed 90 days sober for the year, so it feels good to know I'm moving forward.

      Delete