Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The Sweet Spot

In the past two years, in addition to trying to get 100% sober, I have been exploring other areas of enlightenment/self-improvement for myself.  Turning 50, it hit me, I was on the down side of my life; meaning, I had lived longer than I was going to live until I died.  Accidents aside, given the statistics, I can live another 30+ years.  Of course, how I take care of myself is a big part of equation.  Not only my physical self, but my mind and spirit as well.

I have always known eating right and exercising are an important key to a healthy life.
I am not religious, was raised a token Catholic, however, I do believe there's a higher power.
I know education broadens one's horizons.
I know hard work pays off in results.
I know spending less than you earn, will help you save money.
I know being kind, caring and loving is key to connecting with people.

I know...etc.

But even knowing all the above, I've grappled with feelings of inadequacies because I haven't (and still don't) follow the best course of action for a perfect life. Then it finally dawned on me.  I will never have a perfect life.  NEVER.  I can, however, have a rich, rewarding, wondrous and full life just being ordinary, just being me.  The best me, I can be.  And so as I venture down paths of self-knowledge, I have to remember, it's okay to stumble, make mistakes, fall down. I just have to remember to get back up and move forward towards a better life.

As for drinking, well, it has it's sweet spot, one drink a day for women (men get to have two).  I haven't been able to keep it to one drink (occasionally yes, but rarely).  So, knowing this, I should not drink period.  I'm still working on this one.  Day 11.






4 comments:

  1. We are doing this, that is what counts! You are right, perfection doesnt exist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a quote from Fred Rogers that helps me a lot when I get on that "gotta do better/gotta strive for perfection" thing:

    Love is an active verb like 'struggle.' To love someone is to strive to accept them as they are, right at that moment.

    I always add "and that means SELF love too!" when thinking about it. The other stock phrase I've been using a lot is "Jesus said love everybody...that means yourself too."

    You are doing it and you got past Day 10 so GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam! Those are great quotes, thanks for sharing. Holding strong for now!!

      Delete