Friday, January 12, 2018

This Time

Happy Friday Everyone!

I first tried to stop drinking in April of 2015 after a particularly bad night of drinking, where there was drama.  I was so ashamed of my behavior, I started a sub-journal on my drinking problem.  I vowed to quit right then and there.  Didn't happen.

Then I tried to stop drinking again, January of 2016, I made it to super bowl Sunday.  At that time, I was in such despair, because while I knew I needed to stop drinking, I didn't want to.  I fought everyday in January of 2016 to NOT drink.  It was exhausting.  When January was over, I felt like I had accomplished the biggest goal ever (how sad to write this).  So when super bowl Sunday rolled around, I just couldn't hold on any longer.  I gave in.  Needless to say, I had the worse hangover ever the following day.

I didn't jump right back into my daily drinking, I managed to keep my drinking to 10 days or less during the next few months, but then summer came, and....

So I've been trying to stop drinking for almost three years now and this time, I think I'm finally at the turning point of never going backwards again.

This time, I'm not fighting myself.  This time, I'm not in despair about giving up alcohol.  This time, I really want the freedom of not drinking ever.

This time, I'm going to do it!

9 comments:

  1. That’s an excellent attitude to have.
    It’s truly about freedom. Let yourself experience that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! I wake up psyching myself out, that true freedom is worth never drinking again. It's work for sure, but positive attitude has powers all its own too. And again, thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Every previous attempt helped build experience for this one...and yes it really is freedom. For me it took a while to start feeling that way but once you get there the view is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam,to use Anne's word of the year, I Believe this time I will not drink! I so want the freedom!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lia, well I have to say I am very happy and impressed to read this. I remember you commenting on my blog waaaay back on one of my attempts and I think you and I have been trying for about the same length of time. So so pleased you are doing well and I really hope you stay strong and focused. Do whatever you can to keep sober and don't listen to any voice that pops up that promises this time will be different or I'll just drink for one night and restart - ALL LIES. Now you've stopped let nothing make you start again, lecture over ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved, just loved your lecture! Keep on me, it helps so much. Thanks GG!

      Delete
  4. It took me about 3 years of trying before this last time stuck!!
    You are looking at it the right way..with love for yourself and your life!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Wendy! Thanks for being there for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to hit my own personal rock bottom before I quite the booze Lia. Nobody or no thing could stop me but me. After a little while it is the freedom of not ever wanting to drink again that helps to keep me going.

    Well done, big hugs ..... and keep on going. x

    ReplyDelete