Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Power of One

I've been drinking for 20+ years, heavy for most of that time, sad to say.  I have always journaled since my early twenties, and sprinkled through has been stories of my drinking too much here and there.  It wasn't until 2010, that the sprinkles became constant entries into my writing.  Of course it would be the case, my drinking had gotten to the point of stupidity on so many occasions, it just wasn't funny anymore.  In 2012, February 29th, Leap Year, I lost my job after 19 years with the company.  My drinking increased exponentially!  At that time, I went to a few AA meetings, but couldn't get into the spirit of those meetings.  I just didn't feel comfortable, probably because I really wasn't ready to give up alcohol.  I also told my close family and friends of my probably, and they were all supportive, but I still kept the secret from many others.  I still am ashamed about my drinking problem, but I am slowly changing this perspective.   April of 2015, I started a sub-journal, only about my alcohol intake.  I thought if I tracked how much I drank per day, I would shock myself into sobriety.  Didn't work.

Then in November of 2015 I found Mummy was a Secret Drinker blog site.  It was a life-line.  I reached out to her a few times via email and she was so dynamic, supportive and sincere.  Because of her, I bought the Vale book, tried some of her tips, etc. and gave it a go on January 1, 2016 to get sober.  It lasted 40 days until I took that one drink and by June of 2016, I was back to drinking almost every day.

It's taken a year to give this sober ride another shot!  A whole year.  In that time, I have read so many wonderful blogs, have emailed a few of you wonderful, strong women out there in the soberverse, signed up for Belle's 100 Day Challenge, downloaded Wine Bitches materials, etc.  But it wasn't until I recently came across Giving Up Drugs and Alcohol's blog, that I really decided to do this again. You can never know why, the "one thing" kicks in and helps to make a start, a new beginning, but it does.

So I started a blog six days ago.  Just quick entries.  Trying a new tool.  And Giving has commented on most of those baby entries!  Giving has been the "one" to make me cry in gratitude, to make me keep going the "one" more day!  Thank you for giving me "Giving".

Lastly, thank you ALL, everyone of you, for being the "one" to so many others!  What's great about this, is, One turns into Two, turns into Three, turns into....you get it!

I'm well, and I feel ALIVE!

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful sober blog world!
    I am so happy you are trying again.
    Never give up.
    It's a beautiful place on the other side.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You may not recall, but I've emailed you and you were so lovely to give me good advice. It helped me to start this journey, again, using this new tool, blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember, Lia!
      I am so glad!
      xo
      Wendy

      Delete
    2. The comments help to keep momentum with this sober path. Thanks to you and Wendy, I'm holding strong. It's hard, very hard, but you both say I can do this! I will.

      Delete
  3. Is that me?
    Oh my gosh. I have had an exam (very old to be finishing my degree) and was head in books the last couple of days.
    I am so touched I had a cry.
    Thank you so much and I am so glad to have passed on any help at all.
    Being honest and not ashamed of what we are doing is so important. I agree you have to be ready, I keep saying that recovery can start before you stop drinking Lia - your recovery started when you first started to say "hey something isn't right".

    You are very brave, there are many who are still trying to make the first step. We are all right there :)
    Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that me?
    Oh my gosh. I have had an exam (very old to be finishing my degree) and was head in books the last couple of days.
    I am so touched I had a cry.
    Thank you so much and I am so glad to have passed on any help at all.
    Being honest and not ashamed of what we are doing is so important. I agree you have to be ready, I keep saying that recovery can start before you stop drinking Lia - your recovery started when you first started to say "hey something isn't right".

    You are very brave, there are many who are still trying to make the first step. We are all right there :)
    Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Michelle, you are the "Giving" I was referring to in my blog post. Your prior comments on my blog made me so happy! I'm sure when someone starts a blog, receiving those first comments are mini-life-lines. The comments help to keep momentum with this sober path. Thanks to you and Wendy, I'm holding strong. It's hard, very hard, but you both say I can do this! I will.

    ReplyDelete