Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Connection

I've been having a couple weeks now, where it's been harder than usual to not give up.  I know being alcohol free is the right thing for me.  I know it.  But, it doesn't stop the cravings and desires from working their way into my brain.  I've been using the various "tools" I've learned to work through these times.  One of the tools I use, is listening to Ted Talks about addiction, etc. 

Johann Hari, spoke on addition, with the tag line, "Everything you think you (almost) know about addiction is wrong."  The talk was very good, he went into various studies he's read and interviews he's done to come to the conclusion, "the opposite of addiction isn't sobriety, it's connection."   This really hit home for me, as a group of you lovely women, out there, have came to my rescue.  The connection you've made with me, on this blog, to support me, cheer me on and let me know I'm okay is working it's magic.  I know it's why this sober blogging helps so much, because everyone CARES.  Even when one trips up, the general attitude is to welcome them back, to tell them to keep trying no matter how many times one falls.  The goal is to help each other get better.  Addiction isn't the person, the person is So Much More than their addiction.  I'm so much more than the lady who has drank too much, too many times, for too long. 

Time to spread the love.

8 comments:

  1. I don’t often wax metaphysical but one of the great truths is that when you cast kindness and love into the waters of the world they come back tenfold. One of the worst tricks booze plays is making one -think- it’s a free bridge to contentment and connection with others when it’s really a tollbooth with hefty charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "giving", contributing beyond ourselves, is something I'm learning and doing more of and can say I'm seeing many gifts in return. I like your analogy to the above, so true.

      Thanks Sam!

      Delete
  2. I love Jolene Parks TED talk about Grey Area Drinking and the NOURISH principles, these focus on naturally increasing feel goo brain chemicals which might be just what you need to stop the cravings. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched her talk, I need to go back and remember the fine points she explained with NOURISH. Working through the cravings is hard and any help I can get to plow through them is appreciated.

      Thanks PDTG!

      Delete
  3. It is SO true about connections. I need them to sustain my sobriety as well as help other people. PDTG has a good idea about finding some other good ways to hep curb cravings. Exercise is one of the best, and I found yoga really helpful. But walking in nature can also help!
    Be sure you are drinking lots of water! Sometimes I add a bit of juice to it to make me drink it!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I walk everyday during my lunch hour. There's a great park across the street from where I work in Newport Beach, which overlooks the ocean. This is the best part of my work day. I can see Catalina Island of a clear day.

      Water is something I'm drinking lots of...sparkling water with juice is a good one too.

      xoxo, dp

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to see how far you are into sobriety. I have been so wrapped up in my own small world of drinking misery that I haven't taken time to thank all the people who gave cheered me on each time I gave popped back up to say I'm trying again.
    You are right about the support no matter how many time we come slinking back saying "failed agai" the support I always the same and always, not even forgiving, it's accepting. Acceptance of us when we can barely accept ourselves.
    Delighted to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, "Acceptance of us.....". It's so true. I do accept you the way you are. xoxo, ll

      Delete